Why am I one of the best at what I do?
I recently was indirectly asked this, and well, I thought about it for a moment and realised that it has also been something that I have regularly asked myself over the years too, perhaps in a slightly different way as often I will ask this question along with the
"What do I need to do to be better than I am now?" as well as
"What things should I & do I want to expand my knowledge or skills in?"
By asking these questions I am always looking at self-improvement, which is an important life skill that any decent life coach will tell you will help you in setting out to achieve your goals.
So I felt it worth jotting this down properly for the first time in a while and so that I can revisit it in future too if needed.
Some of the things that make me one of the best at what I do include
- Being Introspective & taking feedback on board
- Being Empathetic.
- My Sheer level of optimism, whilst being able to be realistic and pessimistic too.
- Being able to listen to respond, as well as being able to just listen when its needed.
- My ability to pick the right words at the right time (most of the time)
- My ability to sense when someone needs a compliment or a hug or just to vent
- Being able to sense when to walk away, even if I don’t always do so at quite the right time or in the best of ways
- Being able to see the bigger picture.
- Knowing what questions to ask and when.
- Seeing and understanding the patterns that make life interesting and never still.
- Being able to see all the little details that can often get missed
- My ability to persevere and get though challenging times
- My determination not to give up
- My wide ranging set of skills
- My wide range of knowledge
- My ability to teach my skills and knowledge to others.
- Planning and executing many things all at once.
- Just how passionate I am about the things that I care about.
- Being able to explain things & being able to do so whilst not excusing them for me or others.
- Knowing when to apologise, even if I don’t always now how to.
This is just a small part of the things that make me one of the best at what I do but I hope gives you insight into me.
However I also realise that I don’t think this way all the time, thanks both in part to impostor syndrome & knowing from being introspective that at times I’ve also been one of the worst at what I can do, and other times I can be just ok at what I do. These variances tend to come from dealing with rough patches in life and whilst they can make me seem unpredictable and can lead to me making mistakes here and there (sometimes purposely I may add, especially if I want to expose an issue I am passionate about) I am also one to apologise for any upset I cause, preferably in person than in written form or via phone or video call.
Being both Introspective & Empathetic helps keep me humble, in that I may not always be right in my thinking, but it also allows me to be able to learn from others, which is especially useful for when it comes to learning new ways of working and making the best use (or sometimes most interesting use) of technology, because I know that when used right, technology can and does dramatically improve our lives.
So yeah, this is part of what makes me one of the best at what I do. Are there others that perform better & perhaps more consistently than me, of course, but that doesn’t mean that I am not one of the best at what I do even with periods of inconsistency, because just lets just be honest, no one is perfect, we all make mistakes from small to colossal fuckups, because we are only human.
So yeah, speak to me, give me a chance, heck, even employ me for a little bit and lets do what we can together to make the world a better place. Because even though there may be dark days ahead (yay Winter time) there will be plenty of brighter & enjoyable days ahead too!